Detroit’s grocery options are rapidly increasing and expanding. It’s no secret that the foodie market here in the city is prominent as well.
Ensuring that grocers and Detroiters have the resources they need is the DEGC initiative “Green Grocer Project.” The initiative advocates for grocers in the city of Detroit, ensuring that citizens have access to fresh, nutritious food options. The program has helped create competitive, sustainable grocery offerings in Detroit while improving fresh food offerings for residents.
We’d like to share some of the “worst kept secrets about Detroit grocers” to celebrate all the incredible offerings here in the city.
- Bakery items – Prince Valley: This store has been in operation for more than 40 years. The store bakes more than 80 different items daily, including tortillas. Their bakery also has a wide variety of party cakes and makes wedding cakes to order.
- 5931 Michigan Avenue Detroit, MI 48210
- Marinated Meats – E&L Supermercado: This store has been in existence for 70 years, originally beginning as a meat market before expanding into a full grocery store. However, meats are still the specialty and there are more than 25 marinated meat choices in E&L’s meat department. Five butchers on staff to ensure the best cuts at the 80-foot-long meat counter.
- 6000 Vernor Hwy, Detroit, MI 48209
- Guacamole – Honey Bee Market: The variety of produce ranges from avocados to cactus at Honey Bee but they are perhaps best known for their guacamole. When you first walk into the store there are free tortilla chip, salsa and guacamole to sample.
- 2443 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216
- Downtown Access – City Market: This is the only full-service downtown store in Detroit. There are a variety of products in the 6,000-square-foot space, including many Michigan products. Chicken pot pies with all Michigan ingredients are made fresh daily. The store was voted best specialty food store by Metro Times.
- 575 Brush St, Detroit, MI 48226
- Middle Eastern Sandwiches – Imperial Fresh Market, formerly Banner Supermarket has undergone a $6 Million renovation and expansion and will soon be branding their three other Detroit locations as Imperial stores. Imperial Fresh market has large meat, produce and dairy departments and a 2,500 sq. ft. deli where they make incredible chicken and beef shawarma sandwiches every day.
- 14424 Schaefer Hwy, Detroit, MI 48227
- Fresh Vegetables – Del Pointe Foods: If you’re a vegetarian (or just a vegetable lover) Del Pointe is where you need to go. Fresh vegetables from greens to squash and more are available and prepared every day.
- 16700 Harper Ave, Detroit, MI 48224
- Exceptional Produce – Parkway Foods: Parkway offers over 400 varieties of fresh produce including organic produce and herbs. When produce is in season, the majority is sourced locally from Detroit and Michigan. There is plenty to choose from in this newly renovated store which has $5 million worth of renovations. Parkway Foods also has an in-store florist.
- 11250 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48214
- Seafood – Grand Price: This store increased its size by 40 percent to accommodate larger produce, seafood, meat and frozen food sections. The seafood section has unique products including more than 30 varieties of fresh fish, lobster and shrimp. You can even find frog legs here.
- 12955 Grand River, Detroit, MI 48227
- Chicken and Ribs for dinner – Royal Fresh Market: Royal Fresh Market has undergone extensive interior renovations and recently celebrated their grand re-opening. Their specialty tasty chicken and ribs are available daily in their prepared foods section.
- 18551 Grand River Ave, Detroit, MI 48223
- Accessible Shuttle Service – University Foods: This store is dedicated to ensuring that Detroiters can get fresh food. Customers within a three-mile radius of the store location can call 313-833-0815 and get free transportation to and from University Foods to do their shopping.
- 1131 W Warren Ave, Detroit, MI, 48201
For more information about Detroit grocers and DEGC’s Green Grocer Project please visit http://www.degc.org/businesses/green-grocer-project.
Senior Business Development Manager