Mayor Mike Duggan announced last month 11 more businesses that will be growing or expanding in Detroit neighborhoods with the help of grants from the Motor City Match program. Grants range in size from $15,000 to $75,000 and have been awarded to wide variety of businesses, including a beauty supply store, a cycling studio, a butcher shop, several restaurants and a musical instrument retailer.
“These are the kinds of businesses that help to create complete neighborhoods where people want to live,” said Mayor Duggan. “Motor City Match is helping dozens of Detroit entrepreneurs live their dream owning their own business while being a real part of our city’s neighborhood comeback.”
Now celebrating its fourth round of grant awards, Motor City Match has provided a total of $2 million in funds to nearly 40 small businesses over the past year. Those funds have helped to leverage total of $13 million in investment in these local neighborhood ventures.
Round 4 Grant Winners:
- Twisted Roots LLC / Flow Inc. $75,000
- Block Party LLC $70,000
- Detroit Vegan Soul $60,000
- Norma G’s $60,000
- Live Cycle Delight $50,000
- Amaze-Enjoyment, LLC $50,000
- Guadalajara #2 Inc. $50,000
- Lil Brilliant Mindz, LLC $30,000
- Beau Bien Fine Foods $20,000
- Meta Physica Wellness Center $20,000
- Third Wave Music $15,000
In addition to distributing competitive grant funds, Motor City Match also provides entrepreneurs with technical assistance in creating a strong business plan. It also helps to match entrepreneurs with the owners of buildings in the city that are well positioned to house a new business.
Other MCM Round 4 Winners
- 50 applicants received Business Plan Awards for free business planning classes provided by Motor City Match partners. These entrepreneurs have great business ideas but have not yet formulated their plans or need help strengthening their plans before pursuing space.
- 26 businesses received Space Awards, which connect new or existing businesses with top available Detroit real estate and financial planning assistance. These applicants can be new business ventures with a strong business plan or existing businesses looking to expand into a new space.
- 7 businesses received Design Awards for free architectural planning support and other assistance to design and plan their renovations in their selected locations.
The next application window for building and business owners to apply to Motor City Match will be open from September 1 to October 1. Application details are available at www.MotorCityMatch.com.
Director of Small Business Programs