From Crystal T. Smith, Director of Corporate Development
Members of the DEGC and DEGA Boards are exceptional stewards of our organization. They work tirelessly to provide leadership, vision and a variety of resources to advance our work. Without these selfless men and women, the DEGC/A would be less effective in driving Detroit’s economic growth.
This year, thanks to DEGC’s partnership with the Association of Fundraising Professionals-Greater Detroit Chapter, three of our exceptional board members – along with several other outstanding community volunteers – received the Distinguished Volunteer Award.
Michael Tyson, Jacci Woods and Jerry Norcia were honored as part of National Philanthropy Day, celebrated earlier this month at The Henry in Dearborn.
Tyson, Woods and Norcia are all members of both DEGC and DEGA boards.
“We are thankful to all of our board members for their dedication, commitment and service,” said DEGC’s Kevin Johnson. “We’re especially proud of our three outstanding volunteers. Thanks to Crystal Smith, our new Director of Corporate Development, the DEGC will elevate our relationships with our Board members and philanthropic partners to ensure they receive the recognition they so richly deserve.”
Michael Tyson is the President and CEO of NEW (Nonprofit Enterprise at Work). His career path is marked by more than 20 years of demonstrated success in the financial sector. He now uses those skills to assist DEGC to be successful in its strategic efforts.
Jacci Woods is Vice President of Public Relations and Community Affairs for MotorCity Casino Hotel. Her knowledge of the community and media is vast and wide. She is an expert in her field and shares that knowledge as an active board member.
Jerry Norcia is President and Chief Operating Officer for DTE Energy. Norcia is a well-respected leader and catalyst for the advancement of Detroit. He is Chairman of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation and brings a wealth of knowledge and vision to the board.
This year marked 27 years that the Association of Fundraising Professionals-Greater Detroit Chapter celebrated National Philanthropy Day. It is the premier event honoring the passion, commitment and leadership of Southeastern Michigan’s Philanthropists, Distinguished Volunteers and those in the Fundraising profession. The DEGC was honored to be a participant and looks forward to this being an annual event for our organization.
Five things you should know about the DEGC:
- MCM awardee, Detroit Wedding Studio celebrated its grand opening this week. The grand opening event featured vendor tours for couples planning their dream wedding.
- Motor City Match is gearing up for its Round 13 grant award ceremony on Monday, Nov. 19.
- Motor City Match awardee, Dymond Designs Beauty School will host their grand opening celebration on Nov. 20 in the Detroit’s East Riverfront neighboorhood.
- The DEGC is set to welcome Motor City Match awardee, Pink Poodle Dress Lounge to the city on Dec. 3 in an official ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- The DEGC is encouraging Detroit to support small business by shopping local for Small Business Saturday on Nov. 24. Keep an eye on our website for more details to come!