DEGC’s Small Business Services team is ending 2019 on a very high note – helping several new businesses open in Detroit neighborhoods. These businesses opened in the fourth quarter:
Krispy Addicts, 19434 Livernois
- This men’s retail street wear boutique specializes in graphic design t-shirts, jeans, jackets, hoodies, sweatshirts and other Krispy Addicts signature clothing. The shop, which features a wide variety of accessories also uses the store to feature artwork from local young artists.
Good Times on the Ave, 19416 Livernois
- Good Times on the Ave. is a casual fine dining experience featuring a full dining room, bar, and rooftop outdoor patio. Good Times on the Ave. is committed to supporting the community by offering a meeting place for university students, residents and businesses.
Brewery Faisan, 1087 Beaufait St.
- Brewery Faisan is bringing beer-making back to the Islandview neighborhood — on the very street where beer was historically brewed in Detroit. The microbrewery and taproom is a MCM design, space and cash winner. Owners Rachel and Paul Szlaga opened the brewery in a 9,000-square-foot warehouse on Detroit’s east side.
Blessed Beginnings, 14050 E. Eight Mile Rd.
- A MCM cash winner, owner LaShawn Bridges purchased a facility to grow her home business of 20 years — expanding her capacity from 12 to 60 children. A Detroit native, Bridges owns one of the few child care facilities in Detroit with a Michigan Department of Education five-star rating and offers Early Head Start, Scholarships and STEAM curriculum.
The Upperow, 3031 West Grand Boulevard, Suite 180
- Owners Dr. LaToya and Anthony Thompson received a MCM business plan, space and cash award to open their retail space in Detroit’s New Center area. The business grew from making clothing privately for exclusive clients seven years ago, to today securing manufacturing operations and establishing the luxury fashion house in Detroit.
Hammer Time Hardware, 16380 Warren Ave.
- While not a MCM recipient, DEGC’s Small Business Team helped cousins Adnan Gobah and Bassam Gobah open the True Value-branded shop called Hammer Time Hardware in the MorningSide neighborhood. The owners, who have four other hardware stores in Detroit and Hamtramck, serve many residential customers fixing old houses to help revive the city.
Detroit Pepper Company, 17180 E. Warren
- A Round 9 MCM awardee, the Detroit Pepper Company specializes in stuffed peppers, pepper salads and healthy grain bowls. The Detroit Pepper Company joins a growing list of new, diverse businesses along the East Warren commercial corridor, including Flamz Pizzeria, ZAB Cultural Collective, and the soon-to-open Morningside Café.
The MCM team expects at least four more business to open before the year ends:
- Skin Bar VII, a luxury facial spa located on Detroit’s Avenue of Fashion
- Plum Health, the first Direct Primary Care practice in Detroit located in The Corner at Michigan and Trumbull
- Metrotech Michigan, a commercial laundry on McNichols
- Order Thy Steps, an early education and childcare center on Mack Avenue
In addition to these openings, Motor City Match has helped nearly 500 home-based businesses expand their reach and increase revenue through support including online sales and pop-ups.
Remaining true to the MCM mission, the program continues to match entrepreneurs with available space to build retail density in Detroit’s commercial corridors. More than 80 percent of MCM winners are minority business owners and upwards of 70 percent are female-owned.