The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation today announced 47 winners as part of its Motor City Match program to support small business growth in Detroit. Ten of today’s Round 17 business owners received cash grants totaling $350,000. The program, celebrating five years of building retail density throughout the city, awards entrepreneurs a variety of resources to help them get from “idea to open,” including business plan, space, design and other technical assistance.
“The Motor City Match program is helping grow Detroit’s commercial corridors by opening doors for entrepreneurs,” said Kevin Johnson, DEGC president and CEO. “The program is reactivating vacant storefronts, helping businesses offer the products and services residents want, adding local jobs and increasing minority participation in Detroit’s economic prosperity.”
Motor City Match continues to grow Detroit’s small-business landscape
Combined with its other small business programming, DEGC is creating a sustainable small business environment that nurtures new concepts and ideas. Business owners have received a variety of critical services, including finance workshops, design, technical and business planning assistance, and business/building matchmaking. MCM awards are presented in five categories: cash, space, business plan, design and building.
Through 17 rounds of the program:
- 81 percent are minority-owned businesses
- 71 percent are women-owned businesses
- 64 percent are businesses owned by Detroit residents
- 1,418 total businesses served
- Total cash grants: $8.1 million
- Total leveraged investment: $44 million
- Total business open: 105
- Total businesses under construction: 57
- Eight building awards were included in Round 17
“Small business success is crucial to the overall prosperity of Detroit, including adding neighborhood jobs, building our city’s middle class and creating a culture of entrepreneurialism in the city,” said Pierre Batton, DEGC Small Business Services vice president. “The MCM program launched as the first of its kind in the country nearly five years ago. Today we’re seeing increased small business density in our commercial corridors and new opportunities for residents to share in Detroit’s prosperity.”
About Motor City Match
Motor City Match is a unique partnership between the City of Detroit, the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC), the Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit (EDC) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Competitive financial assistance is supported by a broad partnership of Southeast Michigan community development financial institutions and corporations including, Bank of America, Fifth Third Bank, Ford Foundation, Fred A. and Barbara M. Erb Foundation, Hudson Webber Foundation, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Knight Foundation, The Kresge Foundation, New Economy Initiative and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Motor City Match applications are available quarterly. More information is available at www.MotorCityMatch.com
Motor City Match Round 17 Cash Awardees
- Motor City Sea Farm LLC – $10,000
- Shrimp farm providing fresh, sustainably grown shrimp free of chemicals and coloring
- 10090 W. Chicago St.
- Pingree Mfg L3C – $15,000
- Handmade reclaimed leather goods made by U.S. veterans and Detroiters
- 15707 Livernois Ave.
- Sugah Please Coffee House – $20,000
- Specialty coffee shop selling signature baked goods and confectionary treats
- 14409 E. Jefferson Ave.
- Audio Engineers of Detroit – $20,000
- Affordable audio recording services with an emphasis on community and accessibility
- 4750 Woodward Ave.
- For the Love of Cheesecake – $25,000
- Bakery specializing in traditional and custom-made cheesecakes
- 17207 W. McNichols Rd.
- Amora Luxe Hair Restoration Center – $35,000
- Full-service salon and hair restoration center
- 19031 Livernois Ave.
- Crème Brulee – $40,000
- Full-service beauty salon with certified Paul Mitchell specialists
- 6406 Woodward Ave.
- 44 Burrito – $60,000
- Mexican cuisine with soul
- 6505 Woodward Ave.
- Toss & Sauce – $60,000
- Specialty pizza restaurant serving creative hand-crafted pizzas
- 19163 Livernois Ave.
- AGI Construction – $65,000
- Contractor construction company offering remodeling and development services
- 1826 18th St.
Motor City Match Round 17 Business Plan Awardees
- February House Detroit
- Vincent Renovations
- Remnants Asbestos
- Moore Montgomery Security LLC
- Detroit Teas
- Pasha House LLC
- Angel’s Bake-n-Cakes
- 3D Fitness
- Purple Pooch Palace of Perfection
- Dream Learning Center
Motor City Match Round 17 Space Awardees
- Loving Heart Home Care LLC
- ILERA Apothecary
- 27th Letter Books
- Just 4 Kidz II
- T&T Sip and Read
- Crummie’s Sweets and Treats
- June Music
- Tamika’s Home Care LLC
- Orion Shredding Enterprises
- Breadless LLC
Motor City Match Round 17 Design Awardees
- Brix Wine & Charcuterie
- Filthy Rockwell
- Juicing with Jai
- JD Springs Manufacturing
- Cure Nailhouse
- 10545 Canfield
- Bouncing Around the Motor City