‘Tis the Season for holiday shopping and gift giving. Many Detroit retailers are starting holiday promotions now to attract consumers and make up for lost sales due to the pandemic.
The COVID-19 crisis will likely shape our seasonal gift giving in very practical ways. For most of the year, we’ve been spending an increased amount of time in our homes, and this will continue with cold weather setting in. Therefore, consumers are expected to opt for tangible, useful products over experiential gifts. Such products can improve the quality of our indoor lives and help us with remote working, virtual learning and home-based DIY projects. With this “new normal” in mind, consider these gifts to warm hearts and lift spirits.
Select gifts to help make homes even cozier for a long Michigan winter. Adopt the Danish practice of hygge and give candles, books, blankets, music, board games, sweaters or slippers. To fill at-home time, loved ones may wish to hone a skill or start a hobby, like learning a new language, crafting or finishing a home-improvement project.
Many of our loved ones have put their culinary skills to good use, so consider cook books, kitchen gadgets and specialty foods as the perfect gift. For others, the best gift might be a day off from cooking and ordering takeout. There are hundreds of local restaurants and food delivery services that deliver delicious food for even the most discerning taste.
Whatever your gift-giving need, make Detroit’s neighborhood businesses your first shopping destination – safely in person or online. Our neighborhood businesses offer unique products and services that respect and reflect the rich culture of Detroit’s communities.
Check out the DEGC and Detroit Means Business websites for a list of local businesses featuring Small Business Saturday specials. On our social channels, we’re highlighting various Detroit small businesses leading up to Nov. 28 – Small Business Saturday. As you make your lists and check them twice, consider these suggestions for your special someone.
For that someone who loves being pampered:
- Pedicure & Shoes 2 Go – Discounted massages and spa services
- Sistah’s Braid Too – Complimentary deep conditioning with any service
- Standard Barber Company – Discounted hair products
For the food enthusiast:
- Woodbridge Pub – Discount on meal when deal is mentioned
- The Kitchen by Cooking With Que – Discount on private events
- Pizza Plex – Discounted pizza kits
For someone who might need an extra hand:
- Zenith Culinary Services – Discount on services when deal is mentioned
- City Center Coin Laundry Co. – Discounted drop-off laundry services
- Quality Childcare and Learning Center – Free enrollment
For the fashionista:
- Pink Poodle Dress Lounge – Discounts on bridal accessories and bridesmaids dresses
- Little High Flyers – Discounts on children’s hats and shoes
- Rebel Nell – New products and discounts on jewelry that benefit at-risk women
For the interior decorator:
- ArtLoft – Discounts on bedding, barware and assorted pottery
- Whiff N Sniff – Free shipping on vegan candle orders; candle subscriptions available
- Love Travels Imports – Various discounts and offers on holiday gift packs
For a complete list of participating businesses or to add your small business to the list, visit detroitmeansbusiness.org or degc.org. Remember to use #ShopSmallDetroit when you post about the products and services you’ve purchased or are featuring. Most of all, please enjoy a safe and happy holiday season.