Detroit welcomes businesses from around the world and around the block by offering a variety of financial resources and incentives. These programs are specifically targeted to inspire economic growth for relocating or expanding businesses. From tax abatements and Brownfield plans to workforce development training, Detroit offers the solutions businesses need to be successful.
Provides tax incentives to manufacturers to enable the renovation and expansion of aging facilities, assist in the building of new facilities and to promote the establishment of high tech facilities. Eligible facilities also include, engineering, R&D, or logistics operations.
- Benefit: Provides a tax exemption on the value of improvements
- Up to 12-year term
- Targeted area: Citywide
- Applicant must enter in a Tax Agreement with the City of Detroit.
Download the Plant Rehabilitation and Industrial Facilities Act for more information.
Allows the city to waive most taxes for businesses Certified as an Eligible Next Michigan Business (ENMB) and that moves products or services via “multimodal commerce”. Multimodal commerce involves the movement of products or services via (2) or more modes of transportation (ie air, road, rail or water).
- Benefit: Exempts the following: real property taxes, personal property taxes, local corporate income tax and utility users tax. Excludes debt millages
- Up to 10-year term
- Targeted Areas
- Applicant must enter in a Development Agreement with the City of Detroit.
The Detroit Next Michigan Development Corporation Renaissance Zone offers an exemption or waiver of most taxes for businesses that locate new facilities in Detroit’s employment corridors that result in substantial investment and job creation opportunities.
- Business shipping tangible personal property via multimodal commerce
- Supply chain business providing most of its services to businesses that ship tangible personal property via multimodal commerce
- Manufacturing or assembly facility shipping or receiving most of its production components via multimodal commerce
- Multimodal commerce involves the physical movement or flow of goods via (2) or more of the following modes: highways, railways, deep water ports or airports.
- Light manufacturing facility that package, kit, label or customize and ship products via multimodal commerce
- 100% Real Property Tax Exemption
- 100% Personal Property Tax Exemption
- 100% Corporate Income Tax Waiver
- 100% Utility Users Tax Waiver
- Awarded for a period of up to 10 years